Everyone deserves a quick getaway whether near or far to explore a new environment. Why not kill two birds with one stone, and try out a new possible area to live in Hunterdon? Whether you’re from Hunterdon County, there are plenty of historical, modern, elevated short-term rentals to give you a taste of living in different towns of the county.
Check out our list of tips for renting and the unique homes in the area to try before you buy!
Tips & Tricks for Rentals
Business terms of service and policies are undoubtedly fluid. This can leave consumers feeling confused and frustrated if expectations are not met and these tips we hope will help prevent those situations! See below our tips and tricks to help you book a short-term rental.
- To use Airbnb or Vrbo, you need to be at least 18 years of age.
- As of the summer of 2020, Airbnb established a new rule that restricts some U.S. guests under the age of 25 from booking an entire home in their local area. This was in an effort to reduce the number of unauthorized house parties. In summary, U.S. guests under 25 with less than three positive reviews are not able to book an entire home close to their place of residence. However, those under 25 that don’t meet those requirements are still able to book private rooms and hotel rooms through Airbnb regardless of where they live.
- Airbnb also uses an anti-party sensor to detect reservations at risk. This year, Airbnb developed a new technology to get a sense of each potential guest. For instance, the app will track the history of reviews, length of trip, how far away the guest is from the destination, what time of the week he or she is booking, and more. This is all in an effort to identify possible risks for private homeowners.
- Before looking, narrow down what area you would like to stay in, how many people you’re staying with, how many bedrooms you need, etc. Know what you’re looking for before diving in. The filters on Vrbo and Airbnb will help you find listings with your requirements without getting overwhelmed by too many options.
- The factors around renting a home vary from property owner to property owner. At some locations, you may be allowed a more lenient cancelation policy. At others, you may be allowed to pay half of the price before the trip and the rest to follow. Pets, check-in, check-outs, and more will vary as well. Furthermore, on Vrbo, the minimum age to rent will vary from rental to rental. Be sure to thoroughly read through the rental description and if you have any questions, message the host.
- Renting a home is different than renting a hotel. If you need new towels or sheets, you must wash them. The same goes for toilet paper, soap, trash bags, etc. If you expect to use a lot for the number of people you have, pack some of these essentials.
- Read reviews! Don’t judge a booking by only its beautiful decor and views. Make sure to read the reviews, especially the most recent ones. If a guest acknowledges a problem, take note if the owner responds. You don’t want to be dealing with more than you bargained for upon arrival.
A Sneak Peak at Living in Hunterdon County
Main Street Livin’
Get to know Flemington livin’ by booking this short-term rental home! You and five guests can enjoy the comforts of this home with a beautiful mahogany front porch to sit, relax, and watch the town move by. The home is also conveniently close to downtown and the Flemington outlets to get some shopping in!
Modern Carriage House
Treat yourself to a one-of-a-kind stay at a charming cottage in the back of a three-acre property to get a taste of the town of Flemington! Enjoy the outdoors to see some wildlife and admire the mature trees on the property including pear, apple, cherry, and maple trees. Two minutes away from the quaint home are delicious coffee shops and farmers markets, as well as boutiques to explore in town. Other outdoor activities can be done at the Round Valley Reservoir and on the Delaware River. Additional local towns include Clinton, Frenchtown, and New Hope ready to explore!
Carriage House Property
Photo Credit: Host Dan Keinan
Cottage on an Active Stockton Farm
This three-bedroom cottage sits on a working grass-fed cattle and sheep farm for you to relax and enjoy! Private and full of natural sunlight, this cottage is bound to have your heart. Conveniently, this home is close to the canal towpath and is under two miles from downtown Stockton. Explore the Stockton Market on the weekends and go two doors down to the Stockton Wine and Spirits, and other shops to get some of the town’s favorite goods!
Charming Getaway Home
While located in a secluded area, this home is close to the happening town of Lambertville, which is equipped with unique shops, delicious restaurants, wineries, friendly neighborhoods, and a view of the Delaware River. Outdoor recreation spots are also nearby such as Cavallo Park, Goat Hill Overlook, and the Delaware Canal Trail. This home sleeps two with one bedroom and one bathroom. If you’re a couple considering moving to Hunterdon, this is a great spot to get a feel for what Lambertville has to offer!
Historic Cottage in Town
This 1800s cottage has been completely updated to host you and three guests for a trip to Lambertville. The welcoming cottage features a fully equipped farmhouse-style kitchen and leads to an enclosed backyard to enjoy the outdoors and use the grill to cook a delicious dinner. The location offers direct access to the downtown area filled with art galleries, antique shops, bars, restaurants, and shops. The bridge to New Hope is also close by as well as the canal towpath for a walk, run, or bike ride!
Cute Outdoor Seating and a Bedroom in the Historic Cottage
Photo Credit: Host Marion
Milford River House
This charming home welcomes five guests and features a front porch, side yards, a great location, and the Delaware River can be seen across the street. The town of Milford is close by where there is an abundance of antique shops, microbreweries, restaurants, and outdoor recreation activities from biking to kayaking. In addition, follow the river, driving south, to enjoy the beautiful scenery as you head towards Frenchtown and Lambertville. Experience the area of Milford at this humble abode!
The Carriage House at Walnut Pond
Make yourself at home at this cottage with two bedrooms and one bath for a relaxing weekend to experience Frenchtown, New Jersey! Take in the patio overlooking Walnut Pond and look for wildlife around you. Also, be sure to check out the picnic table covered by a grape arbor, fairy lights, and near a happening hummingbird feeder. Explore the area and drive three miles to historic Frenchtown on the Delaware River with several restaurants and shops to go to.
Carriage House and the Pond View
Photo Credit: Host Amy
Discover More in Hunterdon!
Need some assistance in finding activities, restaurants, shops, and more to explore? We are happy to help! Visit our area’s best chocolate shops, read through our Outdoors Guide, and more on our website for some of the top places to discover, eat, drink, shop, and explore.