Mother’s Day 2020 is Sunday, May 10. And even though the holiday is likely to look different this year for many families, Moms still deserve to feel special … even if you’re celebrating from 6 feet apart. In fact, she’d probably appreciate some extra love this year more than ever!
Read On For …
Your Mother’s Day plans are probably going to vary a lot depending on if you’re able to physically be with her for the day. While many families would typically be celebrating with multi-generational get-togethers, celebratory meals and local excursions, you’re probably staying closer to home this year. Here are some ideas that can make the day feel different than every other day in quarantine – either at home together or from a CDC-approved distance. (Tip: If you’re a Mom reading this, there’s no shame in taking the lead with some of these activities in your own home, OR sending this article to Dad or older kids as a hint!)
- Breakfast in bed. (Even better if you let her sleep in first!)
- Have a picnic in your backyard.
- Have the kids make a special Mother’s Day craft. (You can find some ideas at this link.)
- Clean the house for her and/or give her some time alone to soak in the tub, read a book, watch her favorite show, or take a nap. NO interruptions.
- Set up a video chat date. If possible, set up one time with the grandkids (if there are any) and a separate time for adults only.
- The day before, secretly give everyone in the house small pieces of paper or sticky notes. Ask them to write down things they love about Mom. Then wake up before her on Mother’s Day and display them in a place that’s prominent in the house.
- Chalk the walk! Get creative with special Mother’s Day chalk drawings or messages. (This is a great one if you live near your mom, but you’re keeping a safe distance.)
- Spend time outside together.
- Make her a coupon book if things that are especially relevant right now and pair it with a gift card (or a few) to enjoy when things reopen! (Some suggestions: Get out of bed time routine, a walk around the neighborhood by yourself, 1 hour in the bathtub by yourself … you get the idea.)
- Plan a scavenger hunt that will take Mom around the house before she finds her gift. Here’s a link to a free printable for one from the website thedatingdivas.com.
- Do a puzzle or play a game as a family.
- Watch a movie – either one of Mom’s favorites or something she’s been wanting to see. This could also be an activity to do from afar if you make use of a tool like the new Netflix Party extension on Google Chrome.
- Have a painting party! Local spots like The Paint Party Studio and Paint Party Farm (both 2020 Happening List Finalists) are offering art kits that you can paint at home. This is a fun activity to do with the people in your own house, or you could also set up a Zoom session to paint with family at a distance.
- Bake or cook something together. Make enough extra that you can drop some off at your Mom’s house if you’re not with her. (Or, you could even pick a recipe to make at the same time as your Mom and talk on the phone or using a service like Zoom while you do it.)
- Cook her favorite meal … or support a local business by ordering out! (You can even do this one if you don’t live together.) See our suggestions below.
- Order flowers. Or get out in the garden! This could also be a good one to surprise Mom while she watches from a safe distance. Here’s a link to our article about local spots that can help.
- Have a spa day. If your kids would enjoy this activity (and won’t take away from the relaxation), this is something you could do together. If not, make sure Mom gets some alone time for some at-home pampering. You could also have spa day essentials delivered to Mom. There are places in our list below that can help.
Check out our Hunterdon County (and nearby) picks for #lovelocal ideas that will pamper, inspire and treat the special women in your life! (And no, quarantining isn’t an excuse to skip gifts this year.)
La Chelé Medical Aesthetics
430 Union Square Drive, New Hope
Their Mother’s Day Spa gift basket includes: $100 La Chelé gift card, plush Boca Terry robe, Musee Dreamweaver Sleep bath balm, Patchology Flashmasque Hydrate face mask, and Tea Forte Hanami) (savings $29) The ultimate pamper $195.
Sometimes the best gift is spending time with your mom.
Zanya Spa Salon
287 S. Main Street, Lambertville
Moms are notorious for forgetting to make time to take care of themselves. Prioritizing self-care is essential when managing the pressures of daily life, now more than ever. We are more resilient and more able to handle stress when we are feeling our best both physically and emotionally. Whether you are seeking the benefits of self-care for yourself or you want to give the gift of this healing practice to your mom, look no further than Zanya Spa Salon. Give the special women in your life something to show her how much she is loved! Use promo code MOM20 to receive 10% off gift cards of $250 or more! In-store gift cards will be available for curbside pickup on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (May 7-9). Please Email frontdesk@
View this post on Instagram
Do you need to restock your favorite beauty products? Maybe you need dry shampoo to get you through the week, that perfect nude lipstick for your Zoom meeting, a face mask for some #selfcaresunday, SPF for outside runs, or CBD body lotion for those sore muscles after your at-home workout. We have you covered. Pay over the phone and come pick-up curbside or we can deliver locally. Give us a call or email email@example.com!
14 Penn Valley Drive, Yardley
Exercise is a great way for Moms to relax, relieve tension and focus on herself for a bit.
Basil Bandwagon Natural Market
“We believe now more than ever, everyone could enjoy a little PEACE, LOVE & HAPPINESS.” ~ Co-Founders of Beauty Releaf
Beauty Releaf is an anti-aging company that focuses on the skins wellness and its ability to repair, balance, detox, and heals itself. This approach helps to slow and reverse the aging process. Their pure 100% natural product line is free of toxins or synthetic compounds.
They recently launched their Spring Collection CBD-infused Lip-Taskers. No ordinary lip glosses, they’re an all-natural intense lip treatment combined with the texture and finish of an ultra-luxurious highly pigmented lip gloss. Formulated with powerful antioxidant enriched ingredients and infused with the gold standard of Full-Spectrum CBD to help protect, prevent and reduce inflammation and signs of aging while soothing, healing and softening the lips. Find out more on their website.
Now through Mother’s Day, Beauty Releaf is offering FREE shipping on all order. Plus, they are donating 10% of all proceeds to Off Their Plate, a non-profit organization that is helping restaurants and healthcare workers in multiple cities under crisis from Covid-19.
43 Bridge Street, Frenchtown
Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Candy is offering Mother’s Day baskets with Bernardi chocolates, hand-painted Italian tiles and various Italian-inspired sweets or a coffee-inspired basket that includes Pike’s Place dark chocolate expresso bar, Leone Coffee Cafe and LibbyBeans’ own dark chocolate bark. Orders can be placed online with pickups scheduled between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Tuesday through Sunday. Local delivery – within 10 miles of Frenchtown Borough – is also available. Any tips received will be donated to Frenchtown Elementary School.
View this post on Instagram
One of a kind Mother’s Day Basket! The Coffee Lover! FIELDSTONE Coffee Roasters Ethiopian Coffee, Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans, Glitterati Cafè Espresso Candy, Pikes Place Dark Chocolate Espresso Bar, Leone Coffee Cafè, Les Anis de Flavigny Coffee Mints and LibbyBeans own Dark Chocolate Coffee Bark…$58.00. Please call 908.996.5033. #mothersday #frenchtownnj #frenchtownchocolateshop
8 Bridge Street, Frenchtown
908-628-3135 or 908-391-9114
Just because most florists are closed doesn’t mean flowers are off the table for Mother’s Day. Gather in Frenchtown, Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Florist, is offering curbside service for plants, wreaths and bouquets. For a sample of offerings, try their Facebook page or email them your order at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Old York Cellars
80 York Road, Ringoes
Mother’s Day gifts including a 3 wine bottle box set with complimentary truffles, are available for pickup from this Hunterdon Happening List Finalist for Best Winery after ordering online by May 4th. The gifts can be shipped to New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Florida and Minnesota. Wine labels are customized with Mother’s Day messages. See all of the options here.
Sunbeam General Store
10 Bridge Street, Frenchtown
15 N. Main Street, New Hope
This 2020 Happening List Winner for Best Gift Shop offers a wide variety of giftable items for Mom. Shop gardening tools and seeds, candles, cute socks, essential oils, handmade soaps, face masks, jewelry and more. You can purchase online, arrange porch pickup, or they can ship for you.
A Mano Galleries
View this post on Instagram
Since we are stuck in the house. might as well be comfortable. Take a look at this beautiful robe by @themahoganystore. Only $48! Stylin while in quarantine! Once again, while Covid-19 is in town, we are offering everything on our website for 20% off (the discount will be applied once the order is received). This includes gift certificates. Please take a look at our artisan products and support local business! www.AManoGalleries.com thank you!! #AManoGalleries #shoplocal #shopsmallbusiness #shopOnline #SupportSmallBusinessDuringCovid #GiftCertificate4Art #DelawareRivertowns #HunterdonCountyNJ #BucksCountyPa #Lambertville #LambertvilleNJ #NewHopePa #FrenchtownNJ #StocktonNJ #DoylestownPA #YardlleyPA #FlemingtonNJ #fancyrobes #StylinWhileAtHome
Mother’s Day is definitely a day that Moms deserve a break from cooking (especially since she’s probably been doing even more if it than usual lately.) If you’re lucky enough to live in a house where Dad’s a great cook, he might want to cook Mom her favorite foods today. Even better? Leave the cooking to the pros and support a small business. These local spots are offering delivery, takeout or curbside pickup on Mother’s Day. (Tip: This is also a great way to treat Moms and Grandmas that you can’t be together with that day.)
Lambertville Station Restaurant & Inn
11 Bridge Street, Lamberville
Lambertville Station Restaurant, a Hunterdon Happening Finalist for Best Appetizer and /winner for Best Outdoor Dining, is preparing delicious comfort food for curbside pickup. Meals are priced for portions of 2, 4 or 6 people. Choose from entrees like prime rib or bourbon pork loin. View the complete menu here. Place your order by 3 p.m. on May 6 to pickup on Sunday, May 10 between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Old York Cellars
80 York Road, Ringoes
In addition to offering a wine bottle and truffles gift set (see above), Old York Cellars is also offering a special menu created by their Chef for Mother’s Day. The $35 per person meal includes a tapas sampler, choice of entree (cod fish, oxtail or paella) and triple chocolate cake. Order by May 9. View the complete menu here.
Mountain View Chalet
154 Route 173, Asbury
Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Dessert is offering a selection of Italian chicken and veal entrees, seafood – from stuffed shrimp to jumbo lump crab meat au gratin – to beef favorites such as filet mignon au poivre to New York angus strip steak. Homemade desserts include cannoli, tiramisu and a variety of cheesecakes. Order by Friday, May 8. View the menu here.
15 Landsdowne Catering & Mercantile
29 Race Street, Frenchtown
Have Mother’s Day dinner delivered if you live in Hunterdon County, Upper and Central Bucks County and the river towns. This Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Caterer specializes in comfort food with curbside pickup and delivery options. For information on Mother’s Day offerings, check out their Facebook page.
Juniper Hill Restaurant and Bar
73 Beaver Ave., Annandale
Juniper Hill, a Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Appetizer and New American Cuisine, is offering curbside pick-up from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, including appetizers such as octopus a la plancha, blackened Berkshire pork cheek and curdo of Barnegat sea scallops. Entrees include local vegetable coconut curry bowl, Bucantini pasta, Prime NY strip steak and miso grilled organic salmon.
Maddalena’s Cheesecake and Catering
415 Route 31, Ringoes
This Hunterdon Happening List Finalist for Best Dessert is serving an a la carte menu that includes shrimp cocktail, chicken marsala with rice pilaf and cheese tortellini with spinach tomato alfredo. Top it off with a slice of their famous cheesecake, with a new Keto, low sugar option available. Service is curbside with pickup scheduled for Saturday, May 9th between noon and 5 p.m. Orders need to be place at least 2 hours before pickup. View the complete menu here.
55 Old Turnpike Road (Route 517 North), Tewksbury
This north county inn is offering takeout cocktails, brunch and dinner menus for Mother’s Day with pickup scheduled between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. on May 10th. Selections include ham and spinach quiche, spicy soy sesame wings, filet au poivre and pan roasted Alaskan halibut a la Nicoise with chocolate cake for dessert. Family style meals, which feed up to 5 people, are available for takeout and include pasta primavera, lemon garlic roasted salmon and BBQ pork flat iron steak with bacon brandy apples and white wine thyme jus.