Hunterdon County’s unique mix of cultural and historic abundance continues to expand with the opening of The Spoke Works this November.
The Spoke Works, a historic industrial landmark in Lambertville, has been converted into a vibrant creative center and home to an array of both new and established businesses.This once bustling 19th century factory churned out as many as 400 wheels a day for the Union Army’s wagons and cannons during the Civil War.
Updated for the 21st century, The Spoke Works is now filled with diverse businesses – including yoga and acupuncture, antique furniture restoration, Abstract Expressionism paintings, glass sculpture and more. Participants include Malcolm Bray, Barney Stone, Robert Beck, James Curran, DIG Yoga and more.
What: The Spoke Works businesses are hosting an open studios event to showcase their skills and wares. Come meet the makers and doers at the corner of North Union and Elm Streets. Feast your eyes on a variety of fine art and antiques. Treat your body to a free yoga, Pilates or acupuncture session at DIG Yoga.
When: Saturday, November 16th, 1pm – 5pm
Where: Elm and North Union Streets in Lambertville
Who you’ll discover:
- Malcolm Bray: A British-born abstract painter sporting large paintings and a suite of new oils on paper in his 2nd floor studio/loft
- Joseph Bottari: A native Jersey painter and draftsman making contemporary abstract paintings influenced by Berlin’s Bauhaus movement.
- James Curran: Sells and restores antique furniture, and specializes in British imports
- Robert Beck: An award winning documentary painter and essayist who directs a fine art gallery and academy
- Barney Stone: Makes unique constructions of cast and cold-worked glass, plus interactive kinetic sculptures that are guaranteed to make you laugh;
- Don’t Toss It: A creative reuse marketplace, boutique and gallery dedicated to diverting used and surplus materials from landfills and redirecting them to artists and the community
- Ampersand Projects: An artist-run design studio, picture frame shop and retail store featuring a curated selection of vintage, upcycled and handmade goods
- Pellegrino Signs: Specializes in hand-carved mahogany, illustrated, gold-leafed, and hand-lettered signs by master sign painter and fine artist Charlie Pellegrino;
- Ogden Photographics: A commercial photography studio specializing in product, architectural , and landscape photography
- DIG Yoga: A health-conscious, people-oriented yoga studio for everyone offering the highest caliber yoga instruction