Despite March 2020 feeling like it was 91 days instead of 31, it still feels a little surreal that Easter is already here! With Easter Bunny pictures cancelled, no public egg hunts or church events, and no large family gatherings, this year is certainly unlike the holiday most of us are used to. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t find ways to still celebrate at home with your loved ones. From activities you can plan, to local spots offering holiday menus, and ways to fill those baskets, here’s a list of ways you can make the day feel special.
Easter is about hope, life, love and joy – all things that we should be celebrating now more than ever!
Easter Activities to Do at Home
Chances are, your Easter is going to look very different this year. Here’s a list of activities you can plan for your family to keep the holiday from feeling just EVERY. OTHER. DAY. right now.
- Decorate Easter eggs. Here’s a link to 9 different ways to decorate them. And if you don’t want to use real eggs, you can pick up plastic ones at just about any grocery store, the dollar store or Target. Then use stickers, or try one of these ideas.
- Have an Easter egg hunt throughout your home and yard. Here’s a link to some ways you can make the hunt unique.
- Do an Easter themed scavenger hunt.
- Make an Easter dessert as a family. These chocolate chip cookies use ingredients you probably always have, just get the pastel M&Ms when do your next “stock up” grocery run.
- Do an Easter fashion show. Despite staying home, have everyone put together fancy or funny outfits, then show them off to relatives in a virtual fashion show.
- Do Easter crafts. These no-sew sock bunnies are easy to make, and they’ll be adorable decorations for years to come.
- Watch a fun Easter-themed movie. The movie Hop is on Netflix.
- Paint rocks to look like Easter eggs. Go for a walk around your neighborhood and place them in different places for your neighbors to see.
- Do Easter-themed chalkart outside your house.
- Place glow sticks in Easter eggs (or just use flashlights) to do a nighttime Easter egg hunt for older kids.
- Color Easter pages to decorate your home or mail to relatives.
- Use some type of video chat with family at various times throughout the day like during the egg hunt or for the blessing before eating dinner. If you can coordinate a craft ahead of time, kids could even have a virtual craft session with their cousins. Whatever will help you feel more connected during this time of separation.
- View a live telecast of church services.
- Do you have a backyard firepit? Make Easter candy s’mores! (A Peeps and a Reese’s egg sound like the perfect combo.)
Local Eats for Easter Takeout, Curbside Pick-Up or Delivery
While eating out is off the table this Easter, local restaurants are accommodating its hungry, stay-at-home patrons by offering curbside pick-up for preordered meals. Here’s a smattering of what’s available throughout Hunterdon County:
Lambertville Station Restaurant
11 Bridge Street, Lambertville
Lambertville Station Restaurant, a Hunterdon Happening Finalist for Best Appetizer and /winner for Best Outdoor Dining, is preparing home cooked meals for Easter for curbside pickup. Entrees include center cut prime rib with horseradish sauce, Chesapeake-style crab cakes with old bay rémoulade, New Zealand roasted lamb with mint peso and smoked ham with rum raisin glaze. Wine and beer are also available for takeout. View the full menu with pricing here. For more information, check out the restaurant’s Facebook page or call 609-397-8300. Orders must be placed by Thursday at 3 p.m.
Mountain View Chalet
154 Route 173, Asbury
This Hunterdon Happening List Finalist for Best Celebration and Wedding Venue is offering a host of Easter meal selections for curbside pick-up from noon to 4 p.m., including penne vodka, leg of lamb with rosemary port wine demi glaze, Virginia ham with honey mustard raisin brandy sauce, cheese cake and lemon layer cake. For a full list of its selection, go to mountainiewchalet.com or call 908-735-4660.Orders must be placed by Thursday.
15 Landsdown Catering & Mercantile
29 Race Street, Frenchtown
This Hunterdon Happening List favorite for Best Caterer is offering a selection of items for Easter including spiral ham, vegetables, gourmet quiches, French toast casserole, smoke salmon platter and deviled eggs. Preorders must be placed by Wednesday and can be done on the Web site.
55 Main St., Flemington
This New American cuisine restaurant has a selection of appetizers, salads and entrees including brown sugar glazed ham, grilled lamb and vegetable kabobs and lemon and rosemary roasted chicken.
To preorder, call 908-285-1551 or email [email protected]
Juniper Hill Restaurant and Bar
73 Beaver Ave., Annandale
Juniper Hill, a Hunterdon Happening List Winner for Best Appetizer and New American Cuisine, is offering a selection of appetizers, main meals and sides for curbside pickup between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Sunday. They include jumbo wild red shrimp cocktail, ragout of cranberry beans and roasted organic vegetables, roasted sirloin of lamb and coconut creamed organic spinach. For more information, visit juniper-hill.com or call 908-335-8905. Orders must be placed by 1 p.m. on Friday.
55 CR-517, Oldwick
Open Easter Sunday noon to 8 p.m. for takeout featuring a menu of maple-glazed ham with smash buttered yams, haricot vert and pan drippings for $18 per person or $65 per family. The family portion also includes a Caesar salad. Additionally offered is a garlic rosemary roasted leg of lamb with herb roasted potatoes, spring asparagus for a cost of $20 per person or $70 per family. The family option also includes a salad of mixed greens, mint, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and champagne vinaigrette. Orders must be placed by Wednesday. You can also order from the full takeout menu.
Fourchette Specialty Grocery
36 Main Street, Clinton
This Hunterdon Happening List Finalist for Best Gourmet Market is offering various cheese plates for Easter which can be ordered online for curbside pickup. Call 908-442-8675 to place an order or visit www.fourchette-fromage.com.
Stanton Italian Table
Offering Easter dinner delivered by the Easter bunny. Dinner includes fresh baked rolls, Italian antipasto, house salad, sugar-glazed ham, scalloped potatoes, sautéed green beans and dessert for $80 per family. Call or visit www.stantonitaliantable.com to place an order. They were originally saying April 1, but it looks like they’re still accepting orders. Call to confirm.
Chive & Thyme Catering
1250 Route 31 North, Lebanon
Easter dinner menu includes a salad of mixed greens with pickled eggs or cucumber salad, sugar-glazed ham,potato gratin or mashed, grilled asparagus or sautéed green beans with shallots and sweet rolls. The meal feeds 6 to 8 people and costs $100. Dinners are available per person for $20. Call to place an order by Wednesday.
Easter Basket Help
Do you fill baskets with candy? Toys? Summer clothes and necessities like bathing suits and flip flops? All of those options are sure to bring a smile to your kiddos face. This year, you might want to make an extra effort to put a few things in their basket that will provide some entertainment during your time at home.
Sure, you could probably order a lot of your basket supplies from Target or Amazon, but why not support a small business? (Plus, with so many things sold out and delayed shipping, they might not get here in time!) To make things easy, here are a few local businesses that can help you fill those Easter baskets with goodies you can purchase safely from your home.
43 Bridge Street, Frenchtown
LibbyBeans is our 2020 Happening List Winner for Candy, and you know they must be popular … because they’re just about sold out for Easter! So get those orders in ASAP! They’re making it special by offering DIY Easter Baskets that will be delivered by the Easter Bunny (if you live in Frenchtown) on Saturday or Sunday! You choose a size, choose the items and then checkout. See the site for more details.
La Chocolate Box
39 North Union Street, Lambertville
This Lambertville chocolate shop is open (with extra precautions in place) and also offering shipping or curbside pickup options. Call to pre-order!
Sunbeam General Store
10 Bridge Street, Frenchtown
Sunbeam General Store was voted our 2020 Happening List Winner for Gift Shop. They’re a great 1-stop option with lots of toys, candy and stuffed animals that are perfect for Easter baskets. If you’d like help putting together something for your little one, just call the store and provide the child’s age and special interests. They’re offering porch pickup and local delivery.